Jesus' character in us

The following I wrote 3 months ago but just remembered it again when I saw someone say to a friend "don't...because its sin". How hectic to put such law on people.

The more I read the Bible, especially the New Testament, the more I wonder where all the denominations came up with all the rules that MUST be followed in order to be Holy?!? I read that “For when I tried to keep the law, it condemned me”(Gal 2:19) So where do we come up with, “You must not do this, you must pray everyday, you must, you mustn't”???

“You have died with Christ, and HE has set you free from the spiritual powers of this world. So why do you keep on following the rules of this world, such as 'Don't handle! Don't taste! Don't touch!'? Such Rules are mere human teachings about things that deteriorate as we use them. These rules may seem wise because they require strong devotion, pious self denial, and severe bodily discipline. But they provide no help in conquering a person's evil desires.” Col 2:20-23

The following verse has recently become one of my favourites as well as a prayer: “May you always be filled with the fruit of your salvation – the righteous character produced in your life BY JESUS CHRIST – for this will bring much glory and praise to God.” Phil 1:11. Wow it is the righteous character of Jesus in our lives that will bring glory to God! Not our own.

And there are so many verses that refers to our righteousness IN CHRIST JESUS. This is not our own. It comes with knowing Jesus. We cannot work for it and it won't come into our HEARTS without spending time with Jesus. I have acquired phrases of my Best friends like “you know what I'm saying” and “stoked” and “fat jols”and saying “question” before I want to ask something, only because I have spent sooo much time with them and NOT because I intentionally tried to be like them. Plus trying to just copy everything they do will not only annoy them but also be unnatural and fake. And so “righteous character” can only come into our lives through intimacy and spending time with Jesus because HE IS the righteous character. We in ourselves cannot produce righteous character. “For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases Him.” Phil 2:13

“So don't let anyone condemn you for what you eat or drink or for not celebrating certain holy days or new moon ceremonies or Sabbaths. For these rules are only shadows of the reality yet to come. And Christ HIMSELF is that reality.” Col 2:16-17 So don't let anyone condemn you, but get to know Jesus more and more.


I love this phrase that I heard Rob Rufus say once, I might have altered it but it went something like this "when we go to God, we look to Jesus, and when God looks at us, He sees Jesus". Jesus is our mediator who gives us access to the throne of God, but it is also His blood which was shed, that means we are righteous and holy irrespective of our actions.

Comments

Susan Hughes said…
Wonderful word Leandi :-0) I have shared your blog on my facebook. So proud of you sweetie. Lots of love, Susan (Rivers of Joy church, Bahrain)

Popular posts from this blog

To Continue the hospital story #4

*"Winter" wonderland time*