Power in Prayer



One thing that I have not mentioned yet but was the biggest part of my time in hospital is the prayers of the saints. It was the prayers of so many people and churches that carried me because I did not have the strength in the situation to pray most of the time. People I did not even know and others I hadn't seen in years were praying for me. Almost everyday some of my friends and family friends would come visit me. At my brother's wedding, my parents met people that were from my sister-in-law's side of the family who's church had been praying for me. During my time in hospital I was merely facing each day as it came and there were times when I felt very discouraged and alone but it was the prayers of everyone else and their encouragement that kept me strong. EVERY SINGLE visiting session my mom or aunt would be with me and there was only one day where I did not see my mom which was the day of my brother's wedding. This was such a security to me as I was often too tired for visitors but really wanted my family there. During my time in hospital I did not at all feel encouraged or see the benefit in any which way of my experience, but often others would tell me how they have been encouraged by it. I do believe later, more and more, I will be a stronger person for it but I cannot say that I liked any bit of it.

I have often thought that when a person passes away a slow death, or any other way for that matter, it must be so much harder for their loved ones close to them than the physical pain of the person dying as pain of the heart can be one of the worst and most enduring things. And so again I thought this scripture applies which I have often read before. It applies to the loved ones as well as the person in physical pain as both suffer:


"Now faith is being sure of what we HOPE for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

"Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out His love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom He has given us" Romans 5:1-5

"Now faith is being sure of what we HOPE for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

So for me I have often linked these two scriptures and thought if "faith" is being "sure of what we HOPE for" and suffering produces perseverance which produces character which produces HOPE, then surely suffering will eventually increase your faith. AND "Hope does not disappoint us" . and without "faith" it is impossible to please God because through faith we are justified and consequently have peace with God.
Anyways I might have linked these two Scriptures out of context or the key words not in their proper meaning but for now this is how I see it.

My one friend, Shari, wrote this in my hospital book and it is so appropriate for my time in hospital. It is an old hymn:

In Christ Alone my hope is found,
He is my Light, my strength, my song
This cornerstone, this solid ground
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm
What heights of love, what depths of peace
when fears are stilled when striving cease
My Comforter, my All in All
Here in the love of Christ I stand!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Continue the hospital story #4

*"Winter" wonderland time*

Jesus' character in us